Resources for Children with Special Needs (RCSN) is New York City’s only independent nonprofit organization that works for families and children with all special needs, across all boroughs, to understand, navigate, and access the services needed to ensure that all children have the opportunity to develop their full potential.
Founded in 1983 by three New York mothers, RCSN serves families of children and young adults in NYC with all special needs – social, cognitive, physical, and behavioral – with an emphasis on the city's highest-needs families and communities, and the organizations that serve them.
Through individual advocacy, specialized trainings and community awareness events, we:
- Work to help children achieve their fullest potential
- Connect families to community resources that meet their needs
- Help parents develop the knowledge, skills, and confidence to advocate for their children
- Help families obtain appropriate educational services for their children
- Train parents on special education, disability, and related topics
- Build the capacity of community based organizations – such as recreational and after-school programs – to include young people with emotional and behavioral challenges and other special needs
RCSN is one of the country’s 100 federally-funded Parent Training and Information Centers. RCSN also leads the New York State Education Department Special Education Parent Centers for the Bronx and Manhattan.
You can learn more about RCSN's work in the video below and by clicking through the links at the right.